Relocating your business can be an incredibly stressful time with some many different things to factor in. Not only do you need to think about the impact the move will have on your customers but also the effects it has on your staff and workload.
Here are a few top tips to help make the move a little less stressful:
- Plan, plan and plan some more – make sure that you timetable out the move and schedule in plenty of time for looking around your new offices and time to clear up your old ones too.
- Once you have agreed on your new location make a detailed plan of the layout and strategically work out the best places for all of your staff members to sit. You can then make a list of all of the furniture you have and can work where best to place it all. Or my preferred option is to utilise the services of Office fit out companies who can ensure that your new offices are fit for purpose and why not treat yourself to new furniture and a fresh look to your new surroundings. It is my favourite part of moving!
- One of the most important factors to think about is your staff and how you are going to manage them throughout the move. Communication is the key, you should consult your staff along the whole process including getting them involve where possible. Whether this is helping to pick out the items from the Office fit out companies or perhaps organising their own team areas. Office moves can be incredible stressful for staff and keeping their morale high during this time is important. A nice touch once you have moved in to your new location is to perhaps hold staff meeting and arrange for some catering as a way of thanking them for their help, support and patience.
- Your customers need to be aware of your move. Whether this is through your standard newsletter or updates on social media it is worth factoring this into your timescales and notifying them before your move, during and afterwards.
- On moving day make the most of the knowledge of a specialist office removal firm rather than trying to relocate everything yourself. This way you can reduce the amount of downtime in your business.
- Don’t forget to get your telephone lines and internet transferred with enough notice so that you are not without them for a long period of time. It is worth having an alternative number available for your customers during this period whether this is a diverted call or a mobile number.
Most importantly enjoy the move and take the opportunity to connect with your staff and put your imprint on your office. Good luck!